Friday 31 August 2012

Chuffed...and certainly lived up to the Smoking Rifter name

Over a month since my last post here, tsk, tsk.  I've been busy, had a few fights here and there, won some, lost some, finally seem to have curbed my tendency to rush into fights with insane odds stacked against me, so some progress.

Last night I decided to roam in a different direction so set off from Vitrauze towards Stacmon in my Super Rifter rifter, first making sure I had Regular & Barrage ammo, plus some repair paste in my hold and as many Cap boosters as I could fit in.

Route was only about 12 jumps, all low-sec so I was hoping for some fights - I'd picked Stacmon as I remembered I had a stash of implants that would improve my autocannons damage output, every little helps.

I found a few likely targets en route to Stacmon, but they were either hiding in stations or else were plex runners who did in fact run as soon as I entered the plex.

Techs in the station in Stacmon did their work and with my new implant buzzing in my head (are they meant to buzz? ) I headed back to Vitrauze.

Again, I played a bit of cat & mouse with a couple of prospective targets, but didn't get any fights (damm people were paying attention to their Overviews last night) until I reached Melmaniel.

I saw that there was an Atron and an Executioner at a plex.  There was a fairly young pilot in charge of the Atron, but a much older and more experienced pilot in the Executioner.  I was hoping they would be too busy with each other to notice me when I landed, my plan was to go after the Executioner first.

I land at the plex and see that they are not fighting each other, uh-oh, oh well - I fire up the afterburners and head for the Executioner only to see the Atron warp off!

Executioner locks me up and gets point so I open up my ACs.  I'm out of range of my scam and nos, but I'm taking down his shields.

My shields are also dropping and I can't seem to get closer than about 9k, time to switch ammo, so 10 seconds of no firing from me, time to fire up the armour repairer!

Ammo loaded I open up on the Executioner again, my repper is keeping up, remembering wise words from MB "Keep the repper screaming!" I have it overheating, as are my guns , I notice my cap is almost gone so fire off a cap booster, and then notice that the Atron is back!

no idea how long he'd been there, but he was only 4k away and firing into me, so I target him and get my nos working, then switch my guns to the new target.

Keep my cap going, get the booster loaded, we're out of charges, get them from cargo, Atron's armour now going down, keep up the pressure!

I dip into structure, booster charges loaded, one fired off, repper back to full screaming pelt again, smoke starting to fill my cockpit BOOM!, quick check it wasn't me it was the Atron, ignore the capsule, switch guns to Executioner, he's closer, get the nos on him and the scram, we're seriously into structure now, fire off another booster, keep that repper going!

Boom!

it's not me, whew, that was close.  More hits to what little armour I have left covering my almost none existent hull ( I swear I can see stars - though that may be due to all the smoke), we're taking hits from a plex rat, fuck, time to go.  Fingers crossed that the hull will hold together I warp off to a safe spot and assess the damage.

13% structure left, armour coming back up, Damage Control 78% heat damage, Guns almost burnt out, nos, almost burnt out, repper almost burnt out, smoke everywhere, but 1 confirmed Atron Kill and 1 confirmed Executioner Kill  GFs exchanged in local with the Executioner pilot, I'm a very happy capsuleer!

Then I realise that the Executioner opened up on me first!  Concord don't mind if you defend yourself, whatever your previous intentions, so the local police aren't even looking for me - time to find a station for repairs, then out again, back to plex and collect my loot - only a couple of million worth, but it all helps!

Really chuffed with my performance in this fight, I managed to keep my head, switch ammo, manage my cap booster manually, switch targets effectively and kept the repper screaming.  I'm sure that my implant helped too and may well have made the difference, when fights are this close every little helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment