Thursday 17 May 2012

another failed gank

I was inspired by Kaeda's recent triple retriever gank and decided to attempt something similar. My alt had a bit of a hunt around in a cloaky Hound, and found a Hulk, Retriever and an Iteron all mining in a belt in Vylade (yep Iteron was mining too).

They had intermittent 'protection' from an Ishkur who sat in the belt 10km off them for a couple of minutes, would then warp off for a few minutes before returning and repeating.

I slid my Hound between the Iteron and the Retriever, and was about 4k from each of them. waited until the Ishkur did his warp off thing, then jumped into system in my Gank Thrasher, and warped to my alt. As soon as I entered warp I warped my alt out to a safe and I landed slap bang between the Iteron and Retriever. I locked up the Retriever, applied web, scram, guns and lolrocket.

All was going well, both were still mining, Retriever was going down, so I decided to lock up the Iteron to see if I could get them both.

I looked at the Iteron in my overview list and hit target. what I hadn't done was click on the Iteron in my overview list, so I untargetted the Retriever, my guns stopped, police turned up and jammed me. BAM.
 
Retriever & Iteron didn't even twitch.

I could hear a corpmate in my head shouting "Complexities! Complexities!" as I warped my pod out.

Lessons learned -
  • I probably should have done this in a 0.5 system rather than 0.8, I may have been able to relock the Retriever.
  • The speed the Police turned up probably wouldn't have given me enough time to take out both anyway.
  • Setup was good, my alt was cloaked and undetected throughout.
  • Hound is sexy, traveling around cloaked and getting into the perfect position without my targets being aware was great, a successful gank would have been the icing on the cake. I'll definitely be looking to get into a Hound myself at some point (but it'll not be anytime soon - too much other training to do first before I'll be able to fly one properly).
Ho-hum, onwards and upwards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment